A community meeting was held on Monday, April 27, 1942, in the Johnson Union Church for the purpose of organizing a Fire Department, the Rutgers Engine Company #1. On that day, a company was organized as a Volunteer Fire Company and chartered on August 28th of that year. Contracts were then awarded for the Town of Minisink and Greenville, and in 1947 for the Town of Wawayanda.
On May 4, 1942, the members approved the purchase of its first fire truck and equipment from the Port Jervis Fire Company at the cost of three hundred and twelve dollars. Thorkild Hansen of Johnson furnishes the money for the purchase. A Financial Soliciting committee was formed to raise monies to repay Mr. Hansen. In 1952 members were appointed to meet with the Minisink Town Board to propose the purchase of a new Fire truck for the company. This was approved and on May 17, 1954, the Rutgers Engine Company received a 1953 Ward La France Truck with a 500 gallon Booster tank and a 500 gallon pump. This Truck is still with the company today.
It is the mission of the Johnson Fire Department (Rutgers Engine Company) and its members to protect and preserve life, property and the environment by providing effective prevention programs, prompt, efficient, professional, highly qualified fire protection and emergency services to the communities within the Johnson Fire District. When possible, we will make our personnel and resources available to our neighboring and external agencies in their time of need, recognizing that we too may require their assistance from time to time in protecting our communities.